Anaphylaxis is the response of the immune system to a substance to which a person is allergic. Whenever a person comes in contact with an allergen, there’s a sudden release of chemicals into the body by the immune system. This chemical reaction of the body to the allergen is called as Anaphylaxis. In severe cases, this could be fatal.
What is anaphylaxis?
Most of us must be allergic to one substances or another which could be a food item, chemical or even medicines etc. Allergies are nothing but a dysfunction of the immune system. Anaphylaxis is a bodily reaction to an allergic agent or when an individual allergic with something comes in its contact. Although Anaphylaxis is a mild to moderate body reaction to an allergen, it could be life-threatening at times in severe cases. Let us take a look at what causes anaphylaxis, what are its symptoms, and its cure.
Symptoms of anaphylaxis
Although anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction to which all individuals react differently, but certain symptoms are common in all types of anaphylaxis reactions. Some of these symptoms are as follows:
• Low blood pressure
• The airways get constrict and there is a problem with breathing
• The pulse rate increases
• Some people may have some skin reactions
Factors responsible for anaphylaxis
Although there is no specific factor responsible for anaphylaxis, still there are certain specific factors that make certain people more prone to anaphylaxis infection. Some of these factors are:
• Asthma patients: If a person is suffering from asthma, the person is more likely to suffer from anaphylaxis.
• History: If an individual has previously suffered an anaphylaxis reaction; then there are chances that the person could experience those in future as well.
Treatment of anaphylaxis
Anaphylaxis could be a fatal allergic reaction. To treat an anaphylaxis reaction epinephrine or adrenaline injection is used.
Prevention from anaphylaxis
There is no specific prevention of anaphylaxis but certain measures can be taken by patients who suffer from some allergy so that they can protect themselves. These measures are:
• Always carry the allergy medications with you.
• Do not consume food products that contain the substances or ingredients which evoke allergic reaction in you. For instance, some people are allergic to mushrooms and some even to lemon. So they should avoid food containing these, such as mushroom pizza and lemonade.
Some Common Allergens
It is not necessary that a particular substance, odour, food product, or insect may be allergic to all. Different people are allergic to different substances or other things. Here is a list of items that are found to be allergic to many.
• Some medicines like antibiotics and analgesics.
• Bee stings, dust particles
• Flower and perfume fragrances
• Meat products
• Food products that contain gluten
• Fish and other poultry
• Nuts, whole grains, etc.
Anaphylaxis is not a disease or infection but is the reaction of the immune system to a product or item that may be consider as a foreign particle by the immune system. The immune system develops antibodies against such particles which ultimately lead to allergy and anaphylactic shocks. Lastly, there is no complete cure for this problem. The only solution is to take proper medicines and keep a distance from items that one is allergic to